On a liberal Christian site (one I like reading occassionally) I saw this letter posted pleading for an end to torture. Indeed, a wonderful plea. Obviously it was also trying to help non-Muslims see that there are Muslims who are thoughtful and kind (which I am sure of already, as I know many). All fine and good until they quote examples of Muhammad to show us why Islam does not believe in Torture. Come on, please tell us we don’t look that stupid ! Here is my reply:
I agree that torture is wrong. But how am I to trust Muslims who cite Muhammad (no letters needed) for authority when it was Muhammad who wrote the quotes below. Shouldn’t you Muslims first show us that you want a total reformation of Islam, starting with the Koran !
1. Those who consider the Quran to be “mere fables” will be branded on the nose. 68:15-16
2. Be stern with disbelievers. They are going to Hell anyway. 66:9
3. Those that the Muslims killed were not really killed by them. It was Allah who did the killing. 8:17
4. Muslims that make friends with disbelievers will face a doom prepared for them by Allah. 5:80
5. Cut off the hands of thieves. It is an exemplary punishment from Allah. 5:38
6. If the unbelievers do not offer you peace, kill them wherever you find them. Against such you are given clear warrant. 4:91
7. If you die fighting for Allah, you’ll be rewarded in heaven. 3:157
And many, many more such verses – look here !
Please help me understand! You sound sincere, but you see the incongruency, don’t you?