When discussing a word, we must be clear on how each of us is using that word. Here are some uses/definitions of “God”.
- god: n./ a subjective feeling that the believer treasures. AKA: The Feel-Good God. It could be a warm feeling when reading the bible, or awe when looking at nature or love when thinking about those in their group/tribe or safety when thinking of being protected.
comment: This is one definition used by both Craig and Plantiga in their reformed epistemology.
- god: n./ the original cause
comment: this is a far shot from the Christian or Jewish God
- god: n./ An all-powerful, all-loving, intervening, all-knowing, omnipresent being.
comment: This is the god people want to imply when they are really only discussing definitions 1 & 2. Be careful to not fall into the equovacation fallacy by using the same word “god” while jumping between definitions and confusing the dialogue.
- god: n./ the manifestation of person’s inability to accept responsibility for their actions.
— seen on a T-Shirt
- god: n./ the manifestation of human lack of control and puzzlement.
— by Sabio
- god: n./ any entity which is defined in a logically inconsistent manner so its existence can be easily disproven using simple syllogisms.
— by Pseudonym
Generous Definitions for Kids
- god: n./ that feeling you get when you do the right thing
— by Sabio
See other “Word!” posts, here.