This is my belated official apology to all the folks I tried to convert when I was a born-again Christian. Please forgive me when I showed lack of ability to listen, the use of guilt or fear or any displays of self-righteousness when I tried to talk you into my world. More over, forgive me for looking at you primarily as a goal instead of as a person and if I failed to listen to you when I was so hell-bent on my agenda from God. Excuse me for the trite mindless phrases I used over-and-over and for not stopping to think when you offered me a chance.
In particular, I would like to ask forgiveness from:
- My Mom (though deceased): for the bumper sticker I glued on your car which said “Honk if you love Jesus”. You were a shy, modest person and that sticker ruined many of your peaceful commutes to work.
- My brothers and Dad (deceased): or my persistent self-righteous badgering while they patiently waited for me to grow up.
- My Freshman college roommate: who begrudgingly tolerated me when I embarrassed him by plastering an ugly poster (actual photo) on our dorm room window facing the quad when I was at Cornell.
- See my other Confession Tales,
- See Changing your Beliefs: Scientists admit deeply held beliefs they held.