Below are two diagrams illustrating my model of how an adult (not a child) becomes a Christian. The first picture shows the adult mind BEFORE they become a Christian. The second picture shows their transformed mind AFTER they become a believer.
In the first picture below, the red circle is the non-believer’s mind which, like all minds, contains of many modules. See my related posts below if you are not familiar with the modular mind model. Note that everyone’s mind contains three important modules needed in creating a religious mind: a “Tribal Mind”, a “Morality Mind” and a “Superstitious Mind”. I will explain these in upcoming posts, but for now I imagine they are somewhat self-explanatory.
The second picture, below, illustrates how to create a believer mind. These are the steps needed to transforming a non-believer into a believer. These steps create an “Inner God” for the believer:
- Find, accentuate or create a significant amount of dissatisfaction in the non-believer’s life
- Initiate the unbeliever into a theology, rituals and/or practices (labeled only “theology” in the diagram) which can ameliorate the person’s dissatisfaction
- Link the non-believer to believers in this new “faith”/”religion”. (in rare cases this may be optional)
- The theology must capitalize on the Superstitious Mind to create new religiously superstitious modules (these can vary in number). Here I list four:
a. Wishing God
b. Companion God
c. Spackle God
d. Afterlife God
- The theology must also tap in strongly to the Tribal Mind and the Morality God.
While this model only illustrates an Inner God, the believer will feel their mind is transformed in such a way as to allow communication and communion with an actual god(s)/spirits existing outside of their mind.
Stay tuned for the next post in this series — the grand finale ! Meanwhile, please read the related posts below to catch up on the background required to understand my model.
- Tribal Mind: A definition
- Religious Syndrome: Defining “Religion” using the syndrome rubric
- Many-Selves, No-Self: My theory of mind (read its related posts too)
- Spackle God: Where I introduce the Modular God
- Your Modular God: Details of the various components of the Inner God
- Strong vs. Weak Theology: Illustration and use of Theology in the model