We all have models or narratives which help us navigate our worlds. To aid in productive dialogue, it can be very useful to try and identify these models. This is an annotated indexes my major cognitive narratives posts. This is not careful philosophy, but simply me trying to watch how this mind works.
Many Selves: See the Index post here
One of my important internal narratives is my “Many Selves” model of mind. It is a model I started to value in my 30’s, first experientially and later intellectually.
We hold multiple contradictory beliefs. Our minds use beliefs primarily to anchor our lives, “truth” takes second place.
- Beliefs as Circuit Components : Using the analogy of electronics to illustrate the dynamic aspect and function (vs. “truth”) function of beliefs.
- Beliefs, What are they: A visual model of beliefs, person, brain, society
- Meta-Thought: The mind behind thought expressions
- The Will to say “No” : Is our free-will simply the ability to say “no”?
Truth and Knowledge
In these posts I wrestle with how I know things.
- Traffic Light Epistemology
- We are not Truth Machines
- Joyfully Sacrificing Reason
- Levels of Truth
- Truth & Beauty: Deceptive Abstractions
- The Hour of the Monkey : Are trees green?
- Re-writing history with head nods
- Metaphorical vs. Literal Truth