This will become part of a series on “Reincarnation” — see more links below.
The word “soul” works for Hindus and Christians but most Buddhists would object. But for Buddhists who believe in reincarnation, please indulge me and just generously translate “soul” as “that which reincarnates” (or let me know your favorite word).
Here is the obvious problem for all of you who believe in reincarnation:
With the explosions of populations, of not only humans but other life forms, where are all the new souls coming from?
In re-incarnation circles, here are some of the [weak] answers I’ve heard:
- from other worlds or dimensions
- from a soul repository
- from heaven and/or hells
- from De novo: the universe/God/the-sea-of-consciousness is constantly making/generating new souls
- from inanimate objects (a river, a mountain)
Questions for Readers:
- What answers have you heard to this dilemma?
- Do any of those work for you?
- What do you think is a good name for this problem?
My related posts: