Over the years I have repeatedly seen many Western Buddhists offended when parts of their beliefs or practice have been compared to Christianity. I am not sure why but I have some thoughts:
- Many Western Buddhists feel like a minority and are defensive from the beginning.
- Buddhist feel their beliefs are rational and Christian beliefs are essentially irrational.
- Many Western Buddhists left Christianity to become Buddhists and thus feel the comparison offensive.
- Western Buddhists, like many Christians, don’t feel their faith is a religion like all the other silly religions.
- Western Buddhists don’t believe people are condemned to hell and thus are deeply offended if they are compared to a religion which does.
- Western Buddhists largely consider themselves politically liberal and consider Christians politically conservative and are offended at that level.
- Though Western Buddhists and Christians feel themselves superior to each other, Western Buddhists think their view is more scientific and not superstitious.
Well, I am sure there are lots of different reasons but I will stop to keep this post short and see what readers think.
Check out these Posts: