- The Name: WeiQi (Chinese) goes by many names: “Go”(English), “Igo”(Japanese), “Baduk”(Korean).
- WeiQi Beginner Books: Janice Kim’s Beginners series is great but there is plenty on-line stuff for those who don’t want books.
WHY PLAY WEIQI
- MEET GOD : Why would I talk about a board game on this site — well, if there is a god, you can meet her in this game for sure !! If math is the language of God, WeiQi is the Dance of God.
- UNIQUE & “EASY” : It is unlike any other game you have ever played. The rules are easy to learn but the implications are amazing and hard to comprehend. So don’t venture in if you don’t like challenges.
- BEST Strategy Board Game: Best on the planet ! Yeah, it looks like Othello but that is a laughable superficial comparison. WeiQi makes Chess look easy.
- USE YOUR FULL MIND: It requires you to use both the analytic and the intuitive sides of your mind. It mimics life in many ways that invites philosophical conversations after a game. I have several posts based on the game: see my index post here.
- GRADUAL TRAINING & HANDICAPS: It is a handicap game, so a skilled play can play beginners and both can have a fun game and both have a 50% chance of winning.Different Boards: Beginners start on a 9×9 board to learn, progress to a 13×13, then a full board (19×19). Thus not overwhelmed in the beginning.
HOW TO LEARN TO PLAY, On-Line
- Finish all the tutorials here.
- Do Basic Life-Death Problems
- Play against a computer
- Careful here. People and computers play very differently. Only play against a computer until you can win with 3 or 4-stones handicap on a 9×9 board or 5-6 stones on a 13×13 board.
- Smart Go is great for I-Phone. Anyone know Android apps?
- Finally! Sign up to play with the huge, world-wide, all-levels, friendly on-line community:
See up an account on KGS. Here is how:
- Click on “Download the Client and SGF Editor”
- Click on: CGoban for Java Web Start
- Sign in and registrar. This part is a bit tricky but if you can’t pull it off, WeiQi is probably the wrong game for you anyway! (smile)
- Then, notify me by e-mail and we can meet and play. On KGS my handle is “Mosquito“. I am only 8 Kyu, many of you will beat me quickly! (sniffle)