Understanding the variety of human temperaments can help you understand yourself and others. Sociability is one such temperament trait. Where do you lay on the spectrum between Party Animal and Loner? Take the poll.
It is known that the orbital prefrontal cortex (OPC) is associated with emotion and reward. University of Oxford anthropologist Robin Dunbar showed that:
- People with a larger social networks had larger OPCs
- People with larger OPCs were more capable at envisioning another person’s thoughts (“empathy”, “theory of mind”)
So, some questions:
- Does enlarging your social network grow your brain or is the brain size what determines your social reach? Maybe both. We don’t know yet.
- Does blogging count as socializing?
- Does the size of a person’s orbital pre-frontal cortex predispose them to certain types of worldviews?