Some bloggers are so famous or so talented that readers will scroll down paragraph after paragraph of uninterrupted, sterile, black-and-white font without giving up. But for us less amazing bloggers, such a style rightfully may cause our readers to lose interest. So to gain or preserve readers, consider taking time to improve your post’s readability. Show your audience that you value their reading time and don’t take their efforts for granted.
My suggestions are to use one or more of the following to help your readers:
- Short Posts — try to:
- stay focused on one major point
- edit your writing to eliminate rambling and unnecessary tangents
- break long ideas into several posts and create an index post to link them together.
- Interesting Layout — break up your post using:
- Images: choose carefully & creatively. Or make them!
- Tables: a five-paragraph idea can fit into a short table and is much easier to remember. (see here)
- Polls: see this post
- Section Formats: Add subsections with titles and indenting
- Diagrams: Take time to capture your ideas in a diagram which can be worth 1000 words
- Bulleted Lists: Breaking up paragraphs with lists helps. Besides, list will limit your verbosity.
Question to readers: What suggestions do you have?