Many Atheists get upset when Christians spice-up their testimonies by saying “I use to be an Atheist”. To this claim some Atheist may bristle saying: “You weren’t a real atheist!” elaborating with something like:
- You never really studied science deeply enough (like I have)
- You never really thoroughly considered the reasons why we should reject religion (like I have)
- You were tempted by the crutches religion offers (unlike me)
- You never even saw through the contradictions and lies in the Bible (like I have)
- You were only a superficial Atheist (unlike me)
- If you stopped being an Atheist, it is because you never were a reflective Atheist.
Likewise, many Christians get upset when I tell them that I use to be a Christian and had a deeply personal relationship with Jesus Christ. To this claim some Christians may bristle saying: “You must never have been a real Christian!”, elaborating with something like:
- You never really knew Jesus (like I do)
- You never really understood the Word of God (like I do)
- You fooled yourself and were never really in God’s family (like I am)
- You were only a superficial Christian (unlike me)
- You sadly gave in to the temptations of sin (but I haven’t)
I find the similarities entertaining.